The core objective of this European research project is to assist Member State governments in preparing for the implementation of the Directive proposal and to guide a European policy for RES in the mid- to long term. The past and present success of policies for renewable energies will be evaluated and recommendations derived to improve future RES support schemes.
A consortium of nine European Institutions led by Fraunhofer ISI conducts the following tasks within this project:
- Development of a comprehensive policy background for RES support instruments.
- Providing the European Commission and Member States with scientifically based and statistically robust indicators to measure the success of currently implemented RES policies.
- Proposing innovative financing schemes for lower costs and better capital availability in RES financing.
- Initiation of National Policy Processes which attempt to stimulate debate and offer key stakeholders a meeting place to set and implement RES targets as well as options to improve the national policies fostering RES market penetration.
- Assessing options to coordinate or even gradually harmonize national RES policy approaches.