In 1996 within the framework of the „Photovoltaics Power Systems (PVPS)“ investigation programme, a special Task 7 on „Photovoltaics in the Built Environment“was launched. This Task 7 deals with the integration of photovoltaics in the built environment.
PVPS-Task 7 officially started on 1.1.1997 after one year of preparations, and officially finished on 31.12.2001. This Task 7 is the logical continuation of the Task XVI „Photovoltaic in Buildings“ which was carried out from 1991 to 1996 within the framework of the „Solar Heating and cooling Programme“.
Austria takes actively part in the IEA investigation programme „Photovoltaic Power Systems“since the programme was launched. The coordination of this work was carried out until 2000 by the „Energieforschungsgemeinschaft“ (EFG) of the Austrian Association of Electricity Utilities. Since then Arsenal Research acts as the Austrian Coordinator. (VEÖ) on behalf of the Austrian government and the „Bundesministerium fur Verkehr, Innovation und Technologie“(BMVIT).
The most important results of Task 7 are:
- Demonstration buildings for building integrated photovoltaic plants in 10 countries.
- Development and edition of the international handbook „Designing with Solar Power“
- Establishment of the Demosite in Lausanne: international exhibition center for photovoltaic building elements.
- Internet database for worldwide existing projects: www.pvdatabase.com
- Training material for architects and PV-technicians
- Working documents with emphasis on: architectural integration, electrotechnical dimensioning of a PV system, economics, potential and marketing strategies.